SACRAMENTAL PROGRAMME 2022
SACRAMENTAL PROGRAMME 2022
Registration is now taking place for this years
The sacramental programme of preparation for the Sacraments of Reconciliation and Eucharist is a parish based programme which runs for 4 months each year for Year 4 pupils attending the parish Primary School of Saint Benedict's and for those catholic children not attending Saint Benedict's who live in the parish.
The Sacramental programme draws on the time and gifts of the Parish catechists, of the teachers in Saint Benedict's and the parents and families who have made the commitment to support and recognise the importance of passing on our faith following the example of Christ who used human experiences to lead us to understand God's love for us.
Why do we place so much importance on the preparation of our children for the Sacraments of Initiation?
* As the first sacraments they receive as children it is traditionally a very special celebration and at a time when the children are inquisitive about who Jesus is and want to learn more.
* Here at Saint Benet's we recognise wholeheartedly the responsibility we have on passing on our faith to the children just as it has been passed on to us for over 250 years.
* By receiving Jesus in the Eucharist they can then take a full part in celebrating the Eucharist and experience the parish family as a living community of faith taking Christ into their everyday lives.
What are we hoping the children will understand?
* That throughout Jesus' life he showed love and concern for others
* That ultimately he gave his life for us in the ultimate sacrifice of love on the cross.
* Shortly before he died he promised to be with us always and gave us himself in the Eucharist.
* That this happened at the last supper - Jesus took bread, gave thanks, broke the bread and shared it with his friends. He then did the same with the wine and told us to, "Do this in memory of Him".
* This is what happens every time we celebrate Mass - Jesus is present with us just as he was with his friends at the last supper. By receiving the consecrated host we receive Jesus into our lives and are sent out to share his love with others.
Through the sacrament of Reconciliation the children understand that sometimes they can spoil the friendship with Jesus and our family abc friends and that they must put it right by saying. "Sorry".
How can we best help our children?
* By thorough preparation
* At home
* In School
* In the Parish
* By our example in living our faith in our everyday life.
* By attending mass with them and sharing the experience.
* By giving our time because we think it is important - whether we are teachers, parents, parish priest or catechists and being involved with the children.
* By involving as many people as possible in helping and praying for the child - this makes them feel special.
What does the programme involve?
Families are encouraged to bring the children each Sunday to the Children's Liturgy of the Word and becoming involved in the parish community.